Enthusing people for animals!
Hannover Adventure Zoo – the shape of zoos to come
Since 1996, Zoo Hannover GmbH’s ‘Zoo of the Future’ World Exposition Project has revolutionised the European zoo world; a conventional municipal zoological gardens has evolved into the tourist highlight of the state capital of Lower Saxony.
More than 1,2 million visitors each year are enchanted by seven unique theme worlds – the African Zambezi landscape, Kibongo, the Indian Jungle Palace, the Niedersachsen Meyer’s Farm, Mollywoop children’s land, the Australian Outback and the Yukon Bay Canadian landscape.
No other zoo has, by its own efforts, achieved so much for people and animals in such a short time – and attracted so many more visitors; since the transformation began visitor numbers have more than doubled.
Zoos are usually regional amenities, patronised by visitors from the immediate surroundings. Hannover Adventure Zoo, however, is drawing more and more visitors from other federal states and thus contributing to the Hannover economy. The majority of visitors are prepared to travel more than 30 minutes for a Zoo visit.
With the opening of Yukon Bay the main catchment area has expanded again, making the Adventure Zoo the most important tourist destination in the Hannover Region.
Breaking new ground with new ideas!
The Hannover model is unique in its integrated business concept
Attractive animal keeping
- Modern, naturally landscaped enclosures that both allow animals to withdraw from the public gaze and offer visitors fascinating animal encounters
- Presenting naturally coexisting species instead of taxonomic collections
Education that’s enjoyable
- Zoology live: shows and feeding times with keeper’s commentary each day
- Feeding curiosity: many signs and exhibits telling exciting animal stories
- Well entertained and informed: each year, more than 3,000 guided tours through the ‘wilderness’
- Service centre with freephone hotline for all enquiries, suggestions and bookings
- Online ticket sales to reduce visitor queues
- First Aid room, left luggage service, wheelchair loan
- Over 30 trained Zoo Scouts who know the Zoo like the back of their hand
- Theme worlds enfold the visitor in unfamiliar landscapes
- Each world is the setting for a story that visitors discovers for themselves, can tell to children, and embellish from their own imagination
- Theming extends to the tiniest details – even the toilets are an experience!
Taking customer needs seriously
- With an inn, family restaurant, beer garden, ice cream parlour, wok takeaway and more, we’re well equipped to satisfy hungry visitors
- Adventure playgrounds and clambering paths for the little ones to let off steam while the grown-ups relax
- The shopping experience: crafts, souvenirs and more to browse and buy as gifts
Real-world business principles
Our aim: minimum dependency on subsidies! The Adventure Zoo investments are unmatched in Europe; no other zoo has made so much progress for people and animals in such a short time. Unlike other publicly owned zoos, income from admission tickets, souvenir shops, catering and services is ploughed back into refinancing the investments.
New Zoo World: Yukon Bay!
Go on a journey through the raw Canadian wilderness, rich in tales of gold rush adventures. Come face to face with amber-eyed wolves, caribous, bisons, penguins, seals... and watch polar bears diving from the hold of the Yukon Queen. Unforgettable!
Wine & Dine in India!
Spend an evening in a fairytale world, like the mighty maharajas of long ago! Or celebrate in style on the banks of the Zambezi in Africa, in Canada or idyllic Lower Saxony - regional buffet, artists and decoration included!
Hannover's Adventure Zoo has more than
10 special venues for special occasions!